Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Congress and the Fed are Partners in Crime

Dylan Ratigan makes my point with Congress and the Banks

Sign Dylan Ratigan's petition to get money out of elections.

Alex Jones makes my point with the Federal Reserve

Please sign my petition to Nationalize the banks. 

* First we need to reform Congress, undo the Supreme Court decision on Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, reform the Supreme Court nomination process, nationalize the Federal Reserve, then repeal the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, reinstate the Glass–Steagall Act, and give the Dodd-Frank Act more power with the Elizabeth Warren running the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Next, we limit the power of corporations.

Bob's Bery Cool Avatar! Read this exceptional article by Bill Motzel called Why Occupy?

"Our political and financial systems are corrupt and increasingly becoming one entity. The worldwide banking system has become little more than a tool to suck the wealth out of the common man. Financial capital, the means by which a healthy economy is able to function for the good of all, is being concentrated among a small segment of the population, the elite, the 1 percent..."

Letter from a 99 percenter:

We are a military family. My husband has fought in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya. His pay JUST covers the expenses for a family of three.

I just graduated college in May. I earned a 4.0 GPA, went to an ABA-Approved paralegal program, and did a semester-long internship with the county. However, now I cannot find a job.

“Entry-level” jobs are going to people with 5+ years of experience. I have even applied to be a file clerk at multiple firms. They told me that they have ATTORNEYS applying for the same positions. How can I compete with that?

I am now considering going back to retail - - back to minimum wage. It is better than NO wage. I would go back to school, but I have drained my savings in order to get THIS degree. Right now, spending more on school would mean loans and that seems silly, given I have had no return on my initial investment.

I’d like to be able to tell my 11 year old that college is the best way to secure a bright future for herself. I thought that by going back to school I would be a good role model for her. Now, I’m not so sure. This may have taught her that college is a waste of money.

Thank God my husband still has a job and that it provides health insurance! Without that, we would be homeless right now.

So it is deeply offensive when our politicians hold military pay hostage as a bargaining chip to keep tax cuts for the rich. (Oh, I’m sorry, “Job Creators”. Wait…then where is my job?) The last time they did that, my husband was in Libya. He was worried that we might not get paid, might get evicted, all while he fought in yet one more war.

We love our country. We WANT to believe in its leaders. But they have to inspire trust. Inspire faith. Right now they do not.

  • We are the 99% and we demand leaders who are not puppets for corporations.
  • We demand politicians who are not so far to the right OR left that they can compromise and work together to find solutions to our country’s problems.
  • We demand job creation, investment in public education, and health insurance reform.
  • We want hope. We want to be able to support our families.

The American Dream is not to become rich. It is to see the fruit of your labors, whatever they may be. It is to EARN your rewards. But Corporate America has taken the rewards away. All that is left is work and desperation (or no work, and even more desperation).

A home, health insurance, providing for your children, giving them a future…those things SHOULD be attainable. But unions are gone or ineffective. Politicians are corrupt. The Supreme Court values the speech of corporations over those of the people. Jobs are taken overseas.

“These are the times that try men’s souls.” Thomas Paine said that. He also said, “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.”

So if MY labors must go un-rewarded, so be it. But for now, let us come together to find a solution. Let us make the country better for our children. I want to tell my child, “Go to college. Better yourself. Provide for YOUR family. Serve your country in whatever way you can.”

We have to work together to keep the American Dream alive.

www.occupywallstreet.org (and Occupy the Congress and Occupy the Fed)

URL to article: http://wearethe99percent.tumblr.com/post/11334013642

No comments:

Post a Comment