|Mark Twain popularized the phrase "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" and it's used to describe the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments, and the tendency of people to disparage statistics that do not support their positions.|
The Republicans have been using this strategy for decades to get average American workers to vote against their own best interests. But it's usually just ignorant Republican voters who believe all those lies. (It's a pity there are so many!)
Those corrupted Republican politicians absolutely REFUSE to:
- raise taxes on the rich,
- change the tax code so that corporations pay their taxes,
- stop giving away billions of tax dollars in subsidies to corporations already making record profits,
- end no-bid government contracts for corporations doing business in the defense industry,
- stop outsourcing jobs overseas,
- enforce strict regulations on the banks,
- or cut anything in the military budget.
But what the Republicans WILL DO is:
- bust labor unions for the working-class,
- cut unemployment benefits for the jobless,
- end Medicare and Medicaid for the sick,
- reduce food stamps for the poor,
- and steal Social Security from the elderly.
They will also:
- lower taxes MORE for the rich (capital gains taxes)
- and lower the corporate tax rate too (but they won't eliminate their tax loopholes).
Oil subsidies? With a $14 trillion national debt? It doesn't matter at all if ending oil subsidies won't reduce the price of gas, taxpayers shouldn't be giving ANY corporation taxpayer-dollars when they are making record profits! The Republicans don't represent ordinary Americans, they only represent their corporate sponsors.
And Republicans really do believe that corporations are REAL people! Multi-millionaire and presidential hopeful Republicorp Mitt Romney (corporate raider and lay-off king who is plowing down a $12 million beachfront home to build a much bigger one) admitted this publicly at a town hall meeting. (READ > Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission) and (Read my take on this here and here).
||And why have the Republicans been so obsessed with outlawing abortions, imposing restrictions for young and minority voters, and attacking women's healthcare (such as Planned Parenthood) rather than creating jobs? Instead of taking responsibility for the huge mistakes they made in the past, they'd rather just blame one man for all this country's woes.|
Republican think tanks are financed by corporations, to tell us that corporations are good for us. When was the last time a corporation put the worker first? NEVER! (Henry Ford was the last CEO to pay a fair and equitable wage when he built the Model-T over 100 years ago.)
The Republicans deregulated the banks, outsourced our jobs, held unemployment insurance hostage to tax breaks for the rich (but now is reneging on the deal and is now trying to de-fund it), is trying to eliminate Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security, has been actively busting labor unions, and advocates for "Right to Work" legislation. So everything Glenn Beck has been telling us for the past 3 years has been nothing but "lies, damned lies, and statistics".
"30% of this country will always vote Republican...and I'm just asking, why?" ~ Bill Maher
Fair question Bill. I'd like to know why too! They can't ALL be that friggin' stupid!